How Do You Test for Carbon Monoxide?

There are a lot of gases that could be inside your Edmonton residence. Natural gas and fumes that derive from household furniture, carpet and paints. None of these fumes are as threatening as carbon monoxide.

Get in touch with McKinley Heating Service Experts at 780-800-7092 today to get started defending your home against this dangerous gas.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so Deadly?

Carbon monoxide might be an emergency, so it’s not a situation to joke about.

1. You Can’t Taste It

Carbon monoxide is deadly because you aren’t able to observe it, sense it with your nose or detect it with your taste buds. It’s nonirritating in small concentrations and can’t be filtered.

2. It Can Be Fatal in Just a Few Minutes

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of spent fuel. It can get into your home during cold weather if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace cracks. Based on how large the leak is and the circulation in a residence, the gas could become lethal in within minutes.

Once inhaled, it has a half-life of about five hours. If you are breathing pure air, it will take five hours to get it out of your body. You will need another five hours to reduce that concentration by half.

3. Carbon Monoxide Reaction Can Mirror Other Illnesses

It can also mirror conditions that can be mistaken as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other conditions.

How to Protect Your Home from Carbon Monoxide

There’s no reason to gamble with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here are three things you can complete to keep your home safe:

  1. Your home with at least one natural gas heater, connected garage or fireplace requires a carbon monoxide system. You should have an alarm on every level of your house, in addition to the basement and garage. You also need to install one inside or outside of every bedroom. Aren’t using a carbon monoxide alarm in your home?
    Call McKinley Heating Service Experts at 780-800-7092 to get one. Ask our pros about our reasonable Wi-Fi carbon monoxide systems.
  2. If you currently have a carbon monoxide alarm, regularly check or replace the batteries. You should check batteries every three months, and buy a new alarm every three to five years.
  3. If your carbon monoxide detector goes off, leave your home without delay and phone 911.

Protect Your Family with Support from McKinley Heating Service Experts

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be terrifying, and with the recommended actions your family can be guarded from the dangerous gas. Make the proper changes and call McKinley Heating Service Experts at 780-800-7092 to learn more.


Our Health and Safety Commitment
At Service Experts, our top priority is always the health and safety of our customers and team. We are following all COVID-19 (Coronavirus) public safety guidelines and adjusting our business practices as needed to ensure customer and employee wellbeing. As a precautionary measure, anyone working on behalf of Service Experts – including our technicians – is being asked to stay home for the recommended 14 day quarantine period if they are returning from out-of-country, have been exposed to a presumptive or confirmed case, or are feeling unwell. We are providing our technicians and other field employees with additional health and safety guidance to assist in keeping our customers and employees safe. Please be prepared to answer brief health and safety questions with our representative. We will continue to monitor the situation and will adjust our business practices as required. We recognize that this may be a particularly stressful time and want you to know that, we are committed to serving you and making your experience as easy as possible.