When bad weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair expert to check your system after the storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your prep paid off.
At McKinley Heating Service Experts, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time likely will not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets tossed around during threatening weather. Just make sure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a safe place so that they don’t get thrown around during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to go back outdoors, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call McKinley Heating Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Edmonton, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other concerns that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for bad weather in Edmonton or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with McKinley Heating Service Experts through our online scheduler.