If you think you may have a gas leak, evacuate your home and call 911 immediately.
Signs of a gas leak could include the following:
- The smell of sulfur or “rotten eggs”
- Hissing or blowing sounds from appliances connected to the gas line, such as gas stoves, or sounds from the gas source itself
- Dead or faded grass, plants or other vegetation
- People in the house experiencing symptoms such as dizziness, nausea or fatigue
If you have any of these signs and are worried they may be due to a gas leak, leave your home and call 911 immediately, followed by your utility company.
Sometimes the utility company will repair a gas leak, but in many instances the homeowner is on the hook. Luckily, the experts at McKinley Heating Service Experts are fully trained to install or repair gas lines and we are dedicated to getting the job done correctly, and more importantly, safely. Not to mention that all our work is covered with our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee*!
GAS LINE REPAIR IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD NEVER TRY AS A DIY PROJECT.
While there are a number of things to do around the house that homeowners want to take on by themselves, gas line repair should to be left up to the specialists. It is the only way to ensure that your gas lines are both safe and effective, as well as up to all Edmonton codes.
From installing gas lines for a new stove or oven to doing repairs on gas lines for a heater in your garage, McKinley Heating Service Experts’s expertise have allowed us to handle a host of gas line projects in the Edmonton community, so no job is too tall of an order for our experts.
Gas Leak and Carbon Monoxide Safety
As stated before, the first thing you need to do if you are nervous about a gas leak is exit your home and then call 911 right away. After emergency responders are coming your way, get ahold of your utility company.
Once the emergency responders and utility company have confirmed there is no danger, call McKinley Heating Service Experts to schedule a gas line repair, installation or replacement.
Poisonous gases, including natural gas and carbon monoxide, ought to be taken very seriously. Be sure you have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home and call 911 immediately if you’re ever concerned about a gas leak or carbon monoxide in your home. Unlike natural gas, carbon monoxide doesn’t have an odor and isn’t easily detected. The EPA recommends these steps to decrease exposure to carbon monoxide:
- Keep gas appliances safely adjusted.
- Invest in and use an exhaust fan vented to outdoors over gas stoves.
- Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
- Have a well-versed professional inspect, clean and tune up your central heating systems (including furnaces, flues and chimneys) annually and repair any leaks promptly.
For more ideas on how to safely heat your home and avoid carbon monoxide issues, check out our blog.