Each year over 20,000 people end up in the ER as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless, colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is put off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the winter months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your family safe, McKinley Heating Service Experts is here with some tips to safety warm your home.
- Install a CO detector on every floor of your home and replace the batteries every year.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, at least three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to verify the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces unwatched. Power off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like porcelain tile. Keep kids and animals away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, purchase a model that shuts off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Don’t use a stove to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned annually.
The best thing you can do for your heating system is to make sure it’s not only ready to keep you warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your fall tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, McKinley Heating Service Experts will check to ensure your heating system is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 780-800-7092 today and find out how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.